Sunday, November 18, 2012

Autobiography Title - In Search of Snow

A friend of mine put a post on Facebook asking "if you were writing an autobiography, what would the title be?"  Of course my answer was In Search of Snow.  And I started to wonder, why am I so fascinated by snow.

Snow Fascination

As far back as I can remember I've always waited for the snow to come.  And once it came I was like a kid in a candy store.  Growing up my parents provided us an appreciation (whether they know it or not) of the outdoors.  And I think I just appreciated the time more when there was cold weather and snow on the ground.  We camped, we snowmobiled, we ice fished and more.  I remember building snow forts, snowmen, sledding, and ice skating.  What other time of the year could you be so creative?


Snowmobiling in Northern Wisconsin

As an adult, my love of snow has continued.  I may no longer build forts or ride snowmobiles (prefer quiet sports now), but I still build snowmen and camp and now snowshoe, hike and more.  (Who knows, maybe this winter I'll build a fort.)

Snow Packed Vacations

Since around 2007/2008 snow and glaciers have been a major influence as to where I take my vacations.  Probably 95% or more of my vacations have been to places where I will be in or see snow and/or glaciers.  And now that we're seeing the melt off of our glaciers and snow packs, it's all that more important to me to find these areas.  Capture their essence in my memories and hopefully introduce their importance to others.

Fitz Roy & Torre Glacier - El Chalten, Argentina

I also find spending time outside in winter with the snow one of the greatest ways to unwind and relax.  It's one of the best ways to let your mind open up and let the freshness and newness around you in.  Maybe that's why it fascinates me.

Yes - my autobiography would be called In Search of Snow - and now I feel it's time to start planning that next search.  And then maybe ponder actually writing my autobiography.

Perrito Moreno Glacier








No comments:

Post a Comment