Sunday, December 9, 2012

Camping in December

When I think of December, I think the start of the holidays, cold days and SNOW.  Not camping with my dogs.

Camping in December

Who would have thought that on December 1st, 2012 I would have gone camping because it was warm.  Yes, warm enough to camp in December.  Too bad when I made my decision at the split for I39, I90 and  I94 that I decided to go to Devil's Lake instead of Governor Dodge State Park.  As I pulled in to Devil's Lake and saw the campground I remembered they were doing construction during the winter.  My choice was to camp in the group campground with a full house or head up to Mirror Lake.  Even though I decided I wouldn't go to Mirror Lake again, I decided it was a better option.

Camping in December at Mirror Lake State Park
And thankfully, I was right.  It was quiet with only 5 of us camping in the entire campground.  The dogs and I hiked there on Saturday and saw one of the other camper and then Sunday morning we had the trails to ourselves.  What a beautiful way to start the day.

Mirror Lake @ 7:30 in the morning with a little ice.
After packing up - I did drive back to Devil's Lake State Park and do the loop around the lake.  What a great day it was.  The park was dead, but it was warm enough for even some climbers to take on the cold stone walls of Devil's Lake.  (Of course, this was the first time I went there and left my climbing gear at home - stupid me.)  So if I can't have snow in December, I guess weather warm enough to take the dogs camping will do.


No comments:

Post a Comment