Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hiking in the First Snowfall

This December again seems like crazy weather.  Last weekend it was warm enough to camp in my 3-season tent with my dogs.  This weekend it was cooler and north of Milwaukee there was snow.

Snow

Yes, I said snow.  It may have rained all day in Milwaukee, but when I woke up in the morning, I knew that there would be snow today in Wisconsin.  Like a kid waiting for Santa to come, I jumped out of bed, went straight to my computer and Intellicast.com and looked at where the snow line was.  West or north?  Kettle Moraine North or South?  Where was I going to hike today was all I could think of.

Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest

Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest it was.  Snow would be there.  Yeah!  After breakfast I threw the dogs in the car and off we went.  Old hiking boots, Gore-tex jacket and pants, and blaze orange in the car.  Driving to NKM I was a little nervous.  The snow line seemed to not be where it was on the map.  As I drove up 41/45 it kept raining and the thermometer in the car said 37 for quite a while.  Finally after the 41/45 split and passing Cabela's I started to see snow in the farmer's fields along the side of the road, but it was still raining.  By the time I hit West Bend though - there it was SNOW!

By now I was giddy with delight and the dogs were still sleeping in the car (probably thinking I was crazy).  I was going to get to go hiking in snow today.  So I opted to head to the Mauthe Lake area and head out from there on the Ice Age Trail, probably my favorite trail to hike in Wisconsin.  I was not disappointed when I go there.

Ice Age Trail in Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest
I love hiking in snow.  Snow always seems to make hiking seem magical and peaceful.  Today's hike was no different.  I never saw a person until about 2 1/2 miles into my hike and then I never saw another person again.  The majority of the time I was breaking the trail in the snow while listening to the snow fall off branches and the birds sing.

Fresh snow on the Ice Age Trail
The streams that I crossed were just beautiful.  Catching the freshly fallen snow.  I could have just sat there all day watching the snow fall on the water.  Each snowflake melts into the water and moves on to another place, just magical.

One of the streams on the Ice Age Trail in Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest

What a great day I had with the dogs hiking.  Nature is just an amazing thing and winter nature is the best.  There's no better place to be than in nature, taking in the fresh fallen snow, the sounds of the birds and the peace and tranquility it provides.  Especially when it's the first snowfall of the season.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.  John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment