Saturday, March 22, 2014

Spring Training at Devil's Lake State Park

Spring Training at Devil's Lake State Park

With another trip just around the corner to go backpacking in the Pacific Northwest I figured Devil's Lake State Park would be the perfect spot to get in one last good training day.  Devil's Lake State Park, located in the Driftless Area of Wisconsin has some great bluffs bordering each side of Devils Lake.  Great for training when you need to get some quick elevation gain.

Devil's Lake State Park: East Bluff and West Bluff trails
Devil's Lake: East Bluff and West Bluff trails


Spring At Devil's Lake State Park

Having trained in Spring 2013 at Devil's Lake State Park for my Mt Whitney trip with Backpacker Magazine for Big City Mountaineers, I knew to expect the East Bluff Trail to be in a little worse condition that the West Bluff Trail due to the lack of sunlight in some areas.  Well, I'm not sure that was the case today.  With our crazy winter this year of freezing temps and snow on the ground for 90+ days, spring is coming slow.  

The trails were clear in some spots, snow covered in locations and ice covered in many locations.  Carrying a full pack of gear, maneuvering off trail to get around the ice on the slopes of the bluffs was a challenge.  But one that I was willing to take and enjoying.  

Snow on the East Bluff Trail at Devil's Lake State Park
Snow on the East Bluff Trail at Devil's Lake State Park


Still Winter at Devil's Lake State Park?

The best part of training today at Devil's Lake State Park was that I found a little bit of winter.  With my love for cold weather, snow and winter, I felt like not only did I get a good day of training, I got to experience winter one more time.  Arriving at the park it was 28 degrees (20 degrees with the wind), small random flakes of snow falling were present and the lake was still frozen over.  I'll take it.  And I needed it - a little bit of winter is a great way to refresh the soul while training.

Devils Lake frozen over
Devil's Lake frozen over (March 2014)

“I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”    John Muir.

And I hope I inspire some of you to look at, feel and be with nature - it gives far more than it receives.

No comments:

Post a Comment