Friday, April 19, 2013

Mt Whitney - The Journey

Applying to Join Backpacker Magazine

It's hard to believe it's been just over 9 months already since I applied to join Backpacker Magazine and their editor Jonathan Dorn to climb Mt Whitney, the highest point in the "lower" 48 states.  Knowing it would be an incredible journey if I was picked not only because would it provide me a chance to combine skills I've gained from various other climbing and hiking I've done into an actual mountaineering experience, but also because it was in conjunction with Summit For Someone (SFS).  I've seen the ads in Backpacker Magazine for years, checked out their website for climbs and have contemplated going on a journey with them because of what SFS stands for and how it supports and benefits Big City Mountaineers.

And with the help of a lot of friends who showed their support by posting comments on my "I Want to Climb Mt Whitney" blog post about why I should be selected, I found out in October 2012 I was selected.

Getting Selected to Climb Mt Whitney

I think the day I found out I was selected to go along on this journey I went through a lot of emotions.

  • Excitement - wow, I was going to get to do this.
  • Worry - do I have a pet sitter?  My parents will be in Hawaii in April.
  • Distress - What did I get myself into?  
    • I now have to raise $4,000 
    • I have to train for another climb (having just done Mt Kilimanjaro earlier in 2012)
But again - all of the things I was worried about fell in place.  My parents arrive back the day before I leave - pets will be taken care of.  Training started immediately in October and I'm feeling pretty good and strong. And again, incredible friends reached out to me when I put out the call that I was going to climb Mt Whitney and helped me to raise the money for this great cause.

And Now It's Time to Climb Mt Whitney

  • The training is done.  
  • The gear not already owned is purchased.  
  • Test packing all this gear in the pack is done.
  • Travel from Las Vegas to Lone Pine is coordinated.
  • Mentally, I am prepared!
And most importantly - team Whitney Four-Teeners is psyched about what we're doing, the reason we're doing it and having the opportunity to meet and make some new lifelong friends.

And as John Muir said  -  "The Mountains are Calling and I Must Go."  

The time has come, the journey begins and a summit is within our near future.  Mt Whitney - here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment