Sunday, July 17, 2011

Unglaciated Wisconsin - The Driftless Area

This year I've been doing a lot of exploring and hiking around the southern half of Wisconsin.  I've become most facinated with the SW corner of the state and the landscape.  This area, known as The Driftless area, has lots of rolling hills and streams thanks to being missed by the glacier's that rolled through this area thousands of years ago. 

The more I explore and drive around the back roads in this section of Wisconsin, the more I don't feel like I'm really in Wisconsin. 

This weekend I did some hiking at Bluemound State Park, Governor Dodge State Park and the Ferry Bluff State Natural Area.  All great hikes with great views and surprisingly - not a lot of people. 

With the rain that came in Friday night, the trails at Bluemound State Park were peopleless on Saturday morning.  This left the beauty of an overnight rainfall right where it was when I hiked the trails.  Upon entering the bottom of Pleasant Valley, I followed the stream and saw the mist still lingering.  It was beautiful because just at that time, the sun also started to peep through the clouds and the trees.

Stream at the bottom of Pleasure Valley

Later that day I took my dogs and drove over to Governor Dodge State Park so we could hike the full 3 mile loop of the Lost Canyon Trail.  We had done part of this a few weeks back when we walked down to view Stephen's Falls.  Because it was afternoon and the sun had already come out, there were a few people on this trail, but still for the beauty of this trail, it remained mostly peopleless.  At the bottom of the canyon there were many stream crossings.  The walls of the canyon are full of rock and trees.  Sitting down here you feel no pressure to move fast and can take the time to find artwork in the rocks.

Rock wall - almost looks like the profile of a face

Sunday after doing a little more hiking at Bluemounds State Park - I ventured off to find Ferry Bluff State Natural Area near Sauk City, WI.  I had heard that this area lead to great views overlooking the Wisconsin River and the Driftless Area.  It sure did - even with the oppressive heat (mid-90's & humid), the hike up to the top was worth it. 

Wisconsin River from atop Ferry Bluff
All in all, not a bad weekend visiting the Driftless Area of Wisconsin.  Now to plan to visit some of the unglaciated areas of Wisconsin and see what else I can find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment