Sunday, October 21, 2012

Lapham Peak - Fall Colors and a Great Hike

Time to get ready for the big climb.  Though still 6 months off - it's never too early to start training.  And what better time to start training than in the fall.

Day 1 of training was an unexpected hike with the dogs at Lapham Peak in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest.  Saturday turned out to be a beautiful fall day and after taking Jasmine to the vet in the morning and getting some housework done, I couldn't take it any longer.  I needed to get out.  I decided to take the dogs out and do the 7 mile advanced black loop at Lapham Peak.  I'm not quite sure why it's "advanced", but maybe it's just me and my non-stop hiking and visits to as many mountains as possible that makes the hills on this trail seem fairly easy.

What started off as being a typical walk with the dogs in the woods and their normal 20 minute or so miles (they always seem to need to pee, poop or sniff something) turned out to be a brisk walk through the woods.  With the cooler temps, the dogs decided to move quick - even Wailea with her hip dysplasia and repaired knee.  What typically would have taken us about 2 1/2 hours or so ended up taking us just 2 hours.  Wow - those girls moved.

With that there only a few occasional breaks to enjoy some of the fall colors that were left.  What a perfect day, the remainder of the colors were bright and strikingly orange and red colors.  And what a perfect way to start training for the climb up Mt Whitney.  Based upon this, I'm hoping the rest of my training days go just as well.

Fall colors at Lapham Peak, Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest

Climbing the Tower


After finishing the 7 mile hike in 2 hours, I let the dogs take a break while I took a quick run up the tower at the park to get an overhead view of the fall colors in the Delafield area.  Wow - it always amazes me, no matter what time of the year at how this area looks from above.

Fall colors from the tower at Lapham Peak, Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest

Fall colors from the tower at Lapham Peak, Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest
I think the best part of running to the top of the tower was the trip down.  As I was walking down the stairs of the tower I saw a group of kids running to get to the stairs to climb up.  And one of the kids exclaimed - "this is a high tower, but this isn't no Eiffel Tower".  No kid, you're right, it's not the Eiffel Tower, but it is a view into the heartland of Wisconsin in fall.  

Here's to hoping fall, winter and spring bring just as many beautiful days for training.  Because if so, training is going to be a blast.

To find out more about my bid to climb Mt Whitney with Summit for Someone and Backpacker Magazine - read some of the following:




No comments:

Post a Comment