Sunday, July 29, 2012

Camping and Dogs

Another weekend of camping done.  This weekend my dogs, Jasmine and Wailea, and did a little backpacking at Newport State Park in Door County, WI.  This is a great state park because not only is it located on Lake Michigan and in Door County, but all campsites are wilderness sites and you have to hike it in.  This alone makes it a very quiet and private park. 

A four hour drive from Milwaukee always makes hiking in on a Friday night fun since I always end up hiking in at sunset.  This weekend was no different.  The dogs and I hiked it to the site (2 miles from the parking lot) with our full pack and set up for a weekend of enjoyment on the Lake Michigan shoreline. 

Lake Michigan at Sunset from Newport State Park


One of the other nice things about this park is there are only 16 campsites spread throughout the park so no one is camping one top of each other.  My campsite this weekend was #7 and we were alone in our stretch of the park and therefore had our own shoreline on Lake Michigan. 

Shoreline of Lake Michigan in front of my campsite.


It was a great way to let my dogs be dogs and just let them play in the lake.  They have in the 11+ years that they've been around so far, taught me a lot about life and how to slow down and relax.  Now that they are over 11 years old, I'm learning how to just enjoy my time with them.  I know they won't be around forever so these weekends away camping with them are a great way to just enjoy them. 

Jasmine and Wailea playing on the beach at Newport State Park
Jasmine and Wailea have grown so accustomed to the weekend camping getaways that I think they can count the days and know when Friday is here.  By Friday morning they are anxious and always ready for the next car ride.  They never know where they're going, but they know they're going to get to run in the woods, play in water and sleep in the tent.  And by Sunday they're done and ready to hit the car and sleep on the way home.  Dreaming dreams of their next weekend getaway.

Jasmine and Wailea - done after a day of playing on the beach and in Lake Michigan


No comments:

Post a Comment