Saturday, August 22, 2015

Reboot - Learning to Listen to Your Body

This weekend I've learned I need to listen to my body.  My initial plans were to do a second mountain bike race in the Wisconson Off Road Series (WORS) at the Reforestation Camp in Suamico, WI. I had a lot of fun last weekend racing at the Colectivo Coffee Bean Classic at Minooka Park and surprised myself with taking second place in my age category.

As it turns out my body had different plans for me.  I think it is trying to tell me I need a break and a reboot. In the past four weeks I had actually done three races


The 24 hour races were back to back and I didn't take a break in between, meaning I rode almost every day between the Riverwest 24 and the Wausau 24.  Though I had a team on the Wausau 24, my body took more of a beating in the 6+ hours I rode for the team.  I was beat.

Even with a weekend between the Wausau 24 and the WORS race, there was no rest.  On the non-race weekend I rode Saturday at John Muir and then Sunday a few laps at Minooka trying to figure out the course for the following weekend.  And of course this doesn't include riding during the week multiple times.

I've been known for pushing my body to the limits and this weekend it may have hit the limit.  It decided to provide me with a fever that is knocking me down.  It sucks!  And while I will sit here and sulk about it, I do understand that continuing sometimes to push your limits can have effects.  And I will listen.  I will give myself a break.  Only so that I can start pushing my limits again and ride my bike.



No comments:

Post a Comment