Friday, November 14, 2014

Reviving a Passion - Rock Climbing Red Rock Canyon


As an adult I picked up the sport of rock climbing and made some great friends along the way.  But as life as an adult, jobs and responsibilities change.  Over the course of time I found all of my rock climbing partners moving on to other locations in this great country.  And I ended up putting rock climbing on the sideline.  I never put it far out of sight, it was always within grasp and I knew some day I would want to pick it up again.

Well, that time has come.

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area

Picking the Red Rock area outside of Las Vegas as my first time in over a year and a half to climb was exciting.  I had been trying to plan a road trip to Utah so this opportunity came just at the right time.  I was a little nervous at first because even though I volunteered all summer at the climbing wall at the Urban Ecology Center, climbing sport and trad is much different than top roping a preset climbing wall.

Calico Basin 

After 2 1/2 days of driving from Milwaukee to Las Vegas, I was there.  Right after meeting up with a friend we drove straight over to Calico Basin for a hike and to climb.  We hiked around Calico Basin into the Calico Hills area and found the Black Corridor.  It was a shady corridor which was a welcome site for a warm day in October.  And explains why it was a little crowded.  After reviewing the guide book for ratings on the sport routes in this area we picked Thermal Breakdown which is a 5.9+ single pitch route.  Nothing like starting with something a little more difficult for my first climb in a year and a half.

I surprised myself with my abilities that day and that I remembered techniques I had learned over the last few years.  I had made it to the top without falling!

Cookie Monster - Pine Creek Canyon

Next up on the hit list was Cookie Monster. This was a Trad route rated 5.7 with 3 pitches and was 360 feet in total height.  I've done multi-pitch before but had never done a trad route when doing multi-pitch so this was all new to me.  A great learning experience.

The route starts with a chimney and then heads up the corner for two more pitches.  Again I was a little nervous starting out because I was hoping I'd have the energy, strength and ability to remember how to climb chimneys and cracks.  Again I surprised myself.  Yeah!  After a few hours we reach the top of the 3rd pitch.  Now on to the next challenge.  We had to scramble down (class 4) over to the next route "Cat in the Hat" which has fixed gear so we could rappel down, another three pitches.

It was such a fun time.  And climbing high above Red Rock Canyon I was able to get some great views out and around the Canyon and even out to Las Vegas.  I am definitely ready to try some more climbing in Red Rock Canyon.


Cookie Monster, Pine Creek Canyon, Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas
Cookie Monster Route in Pine Creek Canyon

Cookie Monster, Pine Creek Canyon, Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas
View out from Cookie Monster over Red Rock Canyon with Las Vegas in the far distance

Cookie Monster Pitch 1, Pine Creek Canyon, Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas
Looking down from Pitch 1 on Cookie Monster


Cat in the Hat, Pine Creek Canyon, Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas
View out into Pine Creek Canyon from Cat in the Hat
I finally got to explore some of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area on this trip.  I know fellow climbers that have been to this area before and post about it.  It's always been on my list as a place to explore and it was the perfect place to get back into climbing.  Now to figure out where and what to climb next.  I made a stop in Moab, UT on my way home on this crazy road trip and I have a feeling that will be it.  I've climbed a couple times in that area and love the feel of the red rock to climb.  And I can combine the trip with other outdoor activities I like to do - time to get that mountain bike out and brush those hiking shoes off.  I'm ready for the next adventure.

"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."  John Muir

Each day of climbing we went for a walk and a climb, thinking we'd be back before sundown.  That never happened, we stayed out til sundown and enjoyed the hike by the stars back to the car.  The desert is beautiful and serene at night.  


No comments:

Post a Comment