Saturday, September 6, 2014

Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve - Bluffs, Wetlands and more....

Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve

Hidden along the shoreline of Lake Michigan just south of Port Washington in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin is this great little nature preserve - the Lion's Den Gorge.

Since I had just found out about this place a week ago, I was excited to get up today and bike there and do a little exploring.  Upon arriving at the park I locked up my bike and hit the trails.  This park has a nice trail system that will take you along the bluff line providing you great views of the bluff line and Lake Michigan.
Bluff Trail and a view of the bluff line along Lake Michigan at  Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve
Bluff Trail and a view of the bluff line along Lake Michigan
Less than a mile in on the Bluff Trail and you'll find a bridge that will take you over the gorge and to a set of stairs that will take you down to the lake shore.  I'm guessing the view from the bridge would be amazing in the spring when the snow is melting or after a good rain fall.  Today it was dry below, but still a pretty view.

The shoreline was a great place to find a log to sit on and eat lunch.  Sitting and listening to the waves crash on the shoreline is so relaxing.  It brings me back to the days I lived by the Atlantic Ocean.  I walked down the beach a ways watching the wave patterns and trying to catch some shots of the waves crashing on shore.
Waves crashing along the Lake Michigan shoreline at Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve
Waves crashing along the shoreline of Lake Michigan

Waves crashing along the Lake Michigan shoreline at Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve
Waves crashing along the shoreline of Lake Michigan
After wandering around for a while along the shoreline I decided to head up and explore the rest of Lion's Den Gorge.  Following the Gorge Loop trail through the forest I came to the Cedar Loop side trail.  It's a short little loop that walks through a small grove of cedar trees.  I then came back to the Lion's Den Trail and started walking back toward the parking lot.  This trail is wide and wheel chair accessible for those that need it.  Instead of following this trail which is away from the bluff line back to the parking lot, I took the Wetland Way trail and crossed back over to the Bluff Trail.  I wanted to make sure I had time to take in all the views that were offered while I was here.

Once this trail caught back up to the Lion's Den I took another side trip on the Waterfowl Walk and made a quick stop at the boardwalk viewing area to check out the Waterfowl Production Area.  It is an expansive wetlands area with lots of cattails.  And one little frog.

Waterfowl Production area via the Boardwalk Viewing Area at Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve
Waterfowl Production area via the Boardwalk Viewing Area 

A frog trying to blend in at the Waterfowl Production area at Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve
A frog trying to blend in at the Waterfowl Production area
After watching the frog for a little while, I hit the trail and headed back to my bike.  It was time to head out and back over to the Ozaukee Interurban Trail to bike back to Mequon and my car.  It was a great day for exploring this little gem of a nature preserve and I will definitely be back again.

Trip Stats:
Bike Ride from Mequon (Hwy 57/Mequon Rd) via the Interurban Trail / Ulao Parkway - 27.39 miles
Hiking at Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve - 2.55 miles
Trail Map of Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve

"I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness."  John Muir


No comments:

Post a Comment