Sunday, March 3, 2013

Longer Days, Higher Sun - Winter's Winding Down

I'm starting the feel spring in the air.  The sun's coming up earlier and going down later.  The birds are singing and I've already seen signs of the daffodil's popping up on the sunny side of my house.

I'm a little sad that winter's winding down.  Snowshoeing today I just felt like it may be one of the last of the season.  The sun was higher in the sky.  The shadows of the trees, longer on the ground.  And the birds were chirping like they were happy that warmer weather is on the way.

High sun, long shadows of the trees.
High sun, long shadows.  Spring is near.

An Old Proverb

Yes, winter's winding down.  But it's not going out without a fight this year.  As the old proverb says "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb."  And I believe this year will be no exception.  December and January we saw little snow.  February we saw snow and March is starting off with the forecast of another storm coming.

Plans are already made to take advantage of this next round of snow, as it may be the last.  The snowshoes and headlamp are ready for an evening snowshoe hike along the Milwaukee River.  Because after that, I think we'll see spring.  40 degrees and rain next weekend.  Yup, winter's winding down.

No comments:

Post a Comment